Favorite songs 2007: Wave 2

Continued from a couple days ago...

These are my next-to-top-5 favorite songs of 2007, again in no particular order (other than the meta-order). I will take your non-comments as solemn nods about my musical taste. Dudes, look how good these 5 + the last five have been - can you even imagine how utterly mindblowing my favorite 5 songs of 2007 are? Can you guess them?

Eddie Vedder - Hard Sun
-I haven't actually seen Into the Wild, but if it's as optimistically plaintive as Eddie Vedder's soundtrack, I'm sure it's better than Atonement and No Place for Old People to Live.

Radiohead - Bodysnatchers
-I put this next to Eddie Vedder for a reason, because I hope he's reading this. Eddie, buddy, listen - Bodysnatchers is what you were going for on the last album. Radiohead (a band I feel like I should like but don't) wrote a better Pearl Jam song than you. Get to work. (I would put a link to this song somewhere, but I hear Radiohead are really sue-happy about people downloading free copies of In Rainbows.)

Rilo Kiley - Breakin' Up
Rilo Kiley has the freakiest opening page on their website - it's like something for an underground horror movie. They're leagues better than any other band with two former child stars in it, and this is a fantastic song off their best album so far. Of all the bands on this list I haven't seen live, Rilo Kiley is at the pointiest end of the list.

The National - Mistaken for Strangers
-I've read this song described as being about urban, white-collar tedium, and I supposed it can be about that too. But I think it's about growing up, growing older, maybe before your friends do, maybe before you feel ready.

Feist - 1 2 3 4
-I feel like I've heard this song a bunch this year, but I don't think I listened to The Reminder more than a couple dozen times. Weird. And now I have the urge to shop.

2 comments:

J.Po said...

On a Feist note, I bought the Reminder album because of the iTunes ad - and it's totally good. In fact, 1 2 3 4 isn't even my favorite tune. The second track is (probably) ... but only because it comes after the first. It's a well constructed album, and it reminds me how an album can be more than the sum of its tunes.

Burrito Eater said...

As much as I wanted to comment on your earlier music post...well I've only heard two of those groups before and couldn't even pinpoint either of the songs. But then on this list you bust out some Hard Sun by Eddie Vedder. Awesome tune and the first time we agree.

As far as guessing or predicting your top 5, I have no clue. I will predict that the song Empty Walls by Serj Tankian will not make the cut. I am guessing you didn't get into the new Kanye as well. Maybe something from the "Juno" soundtrack?