I feel the need - the need for tweed


I don't know whether it's the quickly-expanding signs of my impending fatherhood or the sliver of hope that I'll fool some department into letting me dress like a professor there, but lately I've been wanting to dress more like a J.Crew catalog model and less like a grad student who wears a lot of sneakers and Goodwill shirts. Awesome Goodwill shirts because I know what I'm doing in a thrift store, but thrift-store shirts nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong, though - I'm still totally hipper than you. The asymmetric full-button cardigan that M.Bro gave me (from Context) for my 28th last week would make the J.Crew buyer wrinkle his snooty blue-blooded nose with derision. But I want to go to the mall right now and buy a pair of slim-fit washed chinos in tan, light tan, dark tan, dusty tan, navy, and olive, and just alternate those with jeans every other day. And doesn't every guy secretly want to wear a thin diagonally-striped ivy-league tie under a herringbone vest? And the fact that I would eat nothing but toast for two weeks to buy these shoes should tell you that I'm willing to sacrifice to look good - not that I want to be a Kennedy cousin.

If it's J.Crew today, what's next? Brooks Brothers? Paul Stuart? Good god, where does it end? If ever mention "bespoke trousers" to you, you hereby have my permission to immediately walk away.

8 comments:

Spice said...

This parallels my growing adoration for Ann Taylor with its lovely curvy-fit pants (they fit in the hip _and_ the waist!) and stylish young-professional-woman garb. The other day I wore a pair of jeans and a long-sleeve waffle shirt and felt positively slobular.

What in the heck is happening to us?!?!

towwas said...

Oh, man, I am all about Ann Taylor and her cousin, the Loft. Goldurn if those clothes don't just fit me like they were made for me. I get so many compliments on them, and, they're, like, Ann Taylor. They're nothing special.

But anyway, yeah, being in the working world...I did have to step it up a notch (but a very small notch).

J.Bro said...

And M.Bro's been trading in pants + shirts for dresses!

I'm trying out the shirt + varsity tie + vest combo for the LaTeX seminar tomorrow. With jeans, though - it's not like I'm getting paid more than $75 and a line on my CV to teach it. We have 23 RSVPs though!

Brent the Tank said...

Wow Brozek, I have J Crew clothing, what would people say if they knew that you and I shop at the same place?

J.Bro said...

Brent - how do you feel about regular-fit versus relaxed-fit chinos? Button-down versus point collars? Matching socks to pants vs. to shoes?

Brent the Tank said...

I'm a relaxed kind of guy; pointed collars always. Unless I'm sporting a knit tie and penny loafers at the crab boil with Buffy and Chaz then its buttoned.
Socks? Twinkie the Kid by Pearl Izumi of course!

grrrbear said...

Do you have a bow tie yet? If not, there's still some remnants of hope.

towwas said...

Dresses are awesome. I love dresses.