That suits me just fine

I'm going to Chicago the weekend after next for Mission: Academic Job Search Suit Search. Suits are so boring - I don't even own one because I've been get away with a jacket and khakis for all my formal events so far. Really, it's a choice between navy or charcoal fabric. As far as details, you're a fashion disaster if you're wearing anything other than a three-button, single-breasted jacket with flat-front pants. That's it. Brown or green suits? What am I - 80 years old? Black? Is this a job interview or a funeral? Light grey? Pinstripes? I'm not on a fashion show runway. So navy and charcoal are my only two choices and M.Bro's just going to have to get on board with that.

I also need to pick up some crisp white and light blue dress shirts. And probably a dressier watch. I don't think my digital Casio from the 80's is going to cut it at most departments.

Getting a job is an expensive process.

7 comments:

J.Po said...

I hope you get a job at OAM! I hope you get a job at OAM!

Spice said...

I'm personally (and selfishly) pulling for J.Bro to join me at my new place of employment, with OAM a close second on the list!

I wore a brown suit with a cream sweater underneath (brown can work for younger ladies, right?). By the end, the sweater had a big pen mark on it, but I just kept on wearing it, making sure to not remove my suit jacket. I got really, really sick of that suit. And the gray wool skirt I wore for 'arrival day' stuff.

J.Bro said...

Oh yeah, Spice - from the little I know, the rules for women's suits seem to be completely different. Or maybe there aren't any rules at all - there's so much freedom. At the same time, though, it's comforting to know I can put on a well-fitting navy suit, white shirt, and red tie and be accepted everywhere by everyone. Men's suits are boring, but they're completely unobjectionable.

towwas said...

Oooh, you're applying to OAM? Awesome! Also, Spice's new employer would be awesome, 'cause then we can be all about the My Region blogcons!!

Sophist said...

Navy good, job good. And wow, going to TAM (their alma mater) sounds really awesome...

I have a casio watch too, the same one I had from 1982 (well new watch, old, unchanged model). I am planning on sticking with it for the interview process when I eventually get there one day. I think scientists don't need suits for interviews - the more holes in your t-shirt from acid phenol splashes, the better! I've seen a lot of job candidates give talks in jeans. I like science today!

Spice said...

Oh yeah, the scientists have totally different standards! I was talking to a geologist friend of mine, and she wore a casualish sweater and skirt on her interviews. Granted, she was ultra-pregnant at the time, but there's no way you'd go on a poli sci interview without looking like a banker or, if you're J.Bro, a very stylish, hipster banker.

J.Bro said...

I'll be toning down the hipsterness for the job market. I mean, I'm still planning on looking for a suit at H&M, but I'll probably wear it with a regular-width tie.