Far from penultimate

How have I gone so many years without playing ultimate frisbee? What a ridiculously fun game - ridiculously. I need people to play with when I get back home. At least seven other people have to commit to regular weekly games in the comments. (I don't think seven people total, let alone seven from where I live, read this).

The spectacular sliding catch that earned me this (as well as a point for team Social Sciences) (and a round of applause from both teams) was at least 85% worth it. I had to sleep uncovered and on my back last night because bumping or pulling the blanket across it was keeping me from falling asleep.

Sadly, 2 1/2 hours of ultimate frisbee was far and away the high point of my week in LA. I spent all of my free time today working on student evaluation letters (a time commitment that the students will never know about, let alone appreciate), and it's more of that, plus lecture, plus Sunday-evening study hall tomorrow. Blerg.

7 comments:

J.Po said...

Didn't Spice introduce ultimate to OAM, or something? Have her play.

towwas said...

Wow, it was just one week? My Woogie experience was three weeks! That's how I learned all the countries in the world.

J.Bro said...

towwas - it's just my poor phrasing. It was the high point of this week, my second of three and a half weeks in LA. I told my students their class used to be called Woogie, and now they've decided to start referring to ours that way too. Woogie lives on!

K.Bro said...

That looks a whole lot like a softball sliding injury. Way to take one for the team!

towwas said...

Oh oh I get it. Woogieeeeee!!!!

Spice said...

At the BBQ I went to Wednesday, I tossed a bee with A.Wi (who is on a team with T.Ol - so J.Bro, there are two women, plus D.Oh, who plays on like a zillion teams), and commented to her that I was never a very good player and that, in fact, J.Bro surpassed my skill level in his first try at frisbee, back in A^2.

So, yes, J.Bro, I've always thought you'd love the Ultimate. You have the right build, the right level of willingness to dive, and the right laidback attitude.

I Blog, You Blog said...

My problem with Ultimate was that whole bit about having to be able to throw a frisbee with some accuracy...

...and run around a lot...

...and something something strategy something.

It's probably best that I don't live near you. I'd be no help.

But nice war wound, dood! Rawr!