Dubbya tee eff, California?

Why is it so chilly here between 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 a.m.? I had to ask M.Bro to mail me a sweatshirt this weekend.

The students descended on us today. They have an entire evening of icebreakers with the residential staff tonight, and we start classes bright and early tomorrow morning. I'm not nervous - just anxious. I really have no idea what to expect out of these kids. With college students, I can be reasonably sure they'll mostly look bored and/or hung-over, and that sureness is comforting - it makes the success of the class almost completely dependent on me and me alone.

The first RA/Instructor student-handoff happens at Leo (the) Lion at 8:50 tomorrow - wish me luck.

4 comments:

towwas said...

Good luck! And yes, you've discovered the thing I hated the most about California - the freaking climate. I don't care if it's 70 beautiful degrees all day, if I'm going to turn into an icicle the moment the sun goes below the horizon, I'm not interested. I prefer my seasons to be spaced out around the year, rather than all in one day.

towwas said...

Oh, and if I remember correctly, they're going to be very enthusiastic about learning and also chock full o' adolescent hormones. Enjoy!

Spice said...

Yeah, I hated that CA climate, too. Cold at night. Cold in the shade. And in SF, cold all the fricking time. Definitely not warm in a rest-of-the-country way. And no thunderstorms, ever. No thunderstorms!!! After five years, I was so desperately craving a whopping thunderstorm or any sort of break in the mildly warm/kinda cold cycle. And I'm assuming that they water the hell out of the grass at Fancypants U, but naturally, it'd be brown this time of year - or "golden" as they like to call it to deter you from thinking it looks gross.

J.Po said...

Welcome to our fair state! And down there, you don't even get the benefit of wacky liberalness.