DadBro is green

Did you know my dad is spearheading a 3-year effort to bring a multi-million dollar biodiesel plant in northeast Nebraska? In the most basic process, oil is pressed from soybeans to create the fuel, and the husks are fed to livestock. The NE plant would also be one of only two in the US that could also process other organic waste and byproducts. Unlike ethanol, which has an energy gain ratio 1.33:1, biodiesel gains at a 3.5:1 ratio. Diesel engines also don't have to be specially-manufactured to run even B100 (100% biodiesel fuel) - they can all do it, and when the mixture gets above B20, the exhaust is virtually clean (and smells like french fries).

I'm really proud of Dad. I think a lot of family farmers are just putting their heads down in the face of giant corporate farms, but he's spending 12+ hours in the planter and then coming home to raise a million dollars (last night) in phone donations. If you have money to donate and were wondering what good cause should get your charity, call Dan at 402-358-5462 and tell him you know his son FROM THE INTARNWEB. Sunday is the deadline.

5 comments:

MisterVertigo said...

That is AWESOME! As long as I've known your dad it always seems like he was doing something "above and beyond" what most farmers I know do.

I'll try to give him a call over the weekend and see if I can help! :)

towwas said...

Wow, that's cool! Go yer dad!

J.Po said...

I see a journal story in your pop's future. I wonder who will write it...

dra-sh said...

I wrote the other day, but for some reason it never posted.
Anyhow - I was very excited about your dad's biodiesel involvement, especially because I just lectured about biofuels on Monday.

Do you know how the plant will be managed? Is it a farmer-owned cooeprative, or something different? (I ask because of concern about ADM control over corn-based ethanol prices).

What other organic wastes does the NE plant anticipate using?

How does he feel about the price squeeze caused for livestock raisers from biofuels? Has there been any division in the farming community on that issue near where he lives? (dairy farmers are really pressed by the $4 corn, driven up largely by ethanol demand right now).

Sophist said...

Go J. Bro Pops! That's awesome. And I was just going to say, TOWWAS, wouldn't this make a cool news story????