Would I be a terrible person if I titled this post, "Good thing I was eating for two!"?


It would, but I think that will be the title anyway. There are some news stories that make me angry and shocked, and then there are the ones that make me sad and shocked. This one is the latter.
April Barnum of Garden Grove gave birth to a full-term, 7-pound, 7-ounce boy by Caesarian section at University of California, Irvine, Medical Center, hospital officials said.

The 420-pound woman said her size kept her and others from realizing she was carrying the baby.

"Usually you can tell if you're pregnant, but with me, I couldn't tell," Barnum said Thursday, a day after the birth. "If he kicked, I didn't feel him kicking."

3 comments:

Spice said...

This doesn't make any sense - there are other signs besides feeling the baby move hat you're pregnant! Some of which are very obvious!

K.Bro said...

I've heard of people not knowing they were pregnant until going into labor, but it just seems crazy to me. I guess when you are that big, your body is probably all messed up and irregular anyway, so it's possible that she had no idea. It's just very sad.

I Blog, You Blog said...

I went to visit a friend of mine and happened to see his (lesbian) sister...clearly 6-7 months along. I asked why he didn't tell me she was pregnant (because...uh...it would seriously be news!) and he looked at me and gasped "She's not! She's just been smoking and drinking too much..."

I spent the rest of the evening educating him by example on the difference between "fat" and "pregnant"...

He later said she yelled at him a lot when he asked her about being pregnant. Because she was. not. (hmpf!) and I had to apologize greatly for getting him in trouble...

A couple of months later, he called to tell me he'd come home to find her rolling around on the floor in pain. They got her to the hospital. She had a baby.

The brain is a very, very powerful thing...denial can override reason and logic and every clear indicator the body might be giving. I'm not saying it's normal, but it happens.