(it'sbeenawhilesincewehada)DENIM MEGAPOST!

Item #1 on this Megapost agenda extraordinaire: Context just got 21 of the 50 total-in-the-whole-world pairs of Kicking Mule AWA jeans. They're $600 so I'll never have a pair, but they're really something pretty special.
The 1950 AWA from Kicking Mule Workshop is a very rare jean-- only 50 pairs of this artisan jean were produced. The nuance of the slubby, rigid, 17oz purple selvage denim comes from the weaving and dyeing processes. The tradition of the AWA dye method consists of yarn dipped in "sukumo" and wrung out multiple times by a skilled artisan's hand. This process continues for several months, allowing the indigo to reach deep into the cotton yarn. The AWA is an exploration in the creative process of "making".



Oh, crap, that might be the wrong picture. Yeah, yep, crap, it is. These are the AWAs -



Item #2: I wouldn't ever wear these, but it's important that you know that Filippa K makes selvage jorts. Now you know.



Item #3: Remember when I ordered a pair of Japanese Levi's repros the night before the cease-&-desist order went into effect? And remember that the store I bought them from was ordered to cut the reg Levi's-esque pocket tabs off before shipping? Well, I'm not at liberty to say where it came from (but, if you work for Levi's legal department, it was certainly not from any store), but I obtained a tab, bought a sewing kit, and righted this wrong.

Don't look at my bald spot. I'm not sensitive about it or anything, just don't look at it. Besides, it's a solar panel for a ISAIDSTOPLOOKINGATMYBALDSPOT.




Item #4 - Are black jeans cool? These black jeans in particular - cool? I'm going to go smoke an unfiltered cigarette and sneer now.

6 comments:

K. Bro said...

jorts? is that what we are calling them now? love the first picture by the way.

towwas said...

1. That first picture is horrifying.
2. Those AWA jeans are totally cute, if cute is a word I am allowed to use for 600-dollar man denim.

Sophist said...

J. Bro, I was eating breakfast when I saw that top picture on my RSS reader. I don't feel so hot.

Spice said...

Yes, that top picture is now seared into my brain. Too. Much. Butt cheek!

Mister Vertigo said...

You will never be forgiven for posting that first picture. I will now be forced to gouge my eyes out with a fork.

BTW, I think the AWAs look cool. So what's the verdict on the black jeans? Are they cool or not? If they are I wouldn't mind having a pair!

Sophist said...

BTW I can't believe you got out the needle and thread and re-tabbed those jeans yourself. It takes me about 2 years in inertia time to sew lost buttons onto old clothes. In fact I have a jacket that lost a button about 4 years ago that I still haven't gotten around to mending...