Floor hockey on ice

Jesus Hitler Christ, it's frigid. Frigid enough to cancel all the Madison schools - not for snow, but solely for the temperature. Frankly, it's kind of a relief to know that I'll never be as cold ever in the rest of my life as I was walking from the #15 bus stop to the Natatorium for floor-hockey sign-up. Six blocks of 40-below-zero windchill that, despite four layers of warm clothes, chills you right down to your soul. It was almost far, far worse - it turns out the Nat doesn't officially open until 6:30, but a nice janitor let some other guys in a half-hour early, who in turn let me in. A band of floor hockey brothers.

Now back to wait in line until sign-up starts at 8:00. I smell victory for Fili-BUST-YOU-UP this season.

6 comments:

Mister Vertigo said...

Jesus Hitler Christ is right. I'm fracking freezing here, I can't even fathom what it's like there. I just saw the weather map on TV, and most of the northeast part of the country is PINK. That's the color they use AFTER white to show temperature. And that doesn't include the wind chill.

Spice said...

Oh hearty team captain, we appreciate your fortitude! I am wussily staying indoors all day today (and probably tomorrow, too). It's just too damn cold.

towwas said...

Ok, see, I was totally going to blog this morning about how cold it is, but you ruined it. Because now it's just lame to complain about highs in the low 20s. If I can't think of anything to blog about today, it's your fault.

J.Bro said...

Indeed, Mssr. Vertigo - the Madison part of the map is purple with arcticness!

I just postphoned my office hours because the TA office is so cold. There are about four TAs still in there, all reading in coats, hats, and gloves. TOWWAS - it's all relative, so I think you can still complain. I assume office hours in the northern part of Wisconsin are always held next to a propane space heater.

towwas said...

Ok, J.Bro, I went ahead and posted about the weather anyway. For the record, it's totally freaking cold here.

Sophist said...

Ah, the midwest. One day I plan to return! One thing I love about super-cold (-30) weather is that you can hear stuff coming from way far away. I don't know if it's because there is almost no ambient noise when it's that cold (i.e. no creatures stirring), or because the air is more dense. Ideas?

I have to say, I don't miss the frigid temps. The whole snot freezing in the nose thing was better left unexperienced.

Here in California, if it gets down to 30 degrees, everyone goes crazy and worries about frostbite. Oh yeah, and 80% of the citrus and avocado crop goes to shit.