A long weight

The Mad City Marathon is six months from today, and after a few weeks of sporadic running and regular cross-training, my official training program starts today. My left knee is still a little sore from the non-official-training-plan 8-mile run I did yesterday morning, but Mondays are cross-training days anyway.

The first order(s) of business are to build an aerobic base and drop weight. In the last month and a half, I've dropped from 182 to ~175, but according to Frank Horwill, I need to keep going to reach an ideal distance-running weight.
No man six feet tall and weighing 176lbs (79.8kg) will ever win the London Marathon, and it is unlikely that a woman five feet six inches in height and weighing 130lbs (58.9kg) will ever do so either. Why? To answer this we must consult Dr Stillman's height/weight ratio table. He fixes the non-active man's average weight for height with a simple formula. He allocates 110lbs (56.2kg) for the first five feet (1.524m) in height and 5 1/2lbs (2.296kg) for every inch (0.025m) thereafter. He is harsher with women, giving them 100lbs (45.3kg) for the first five feet and 5lbs (2.268kg) for every inch above this.

Having established the average, he then speculates on the ideal weight for athletic performance, as follows:
-Sprinters (100-400m): 2½ per cent lighter than average (6ft/176lbs - 2½% = 4lbs)
-Hurdlers (100-400m): 6 per cent lighter (or 9lbs)
-Middle-distance runners (800m - 10K): 12 per cent lighter (or 19lbs)
-Long-distance runners (10 miles onwards): 15 per cent lighter (or 25½lbs)

At 6'2", I get to add 77 lbs to my 5' base, for a non-active average-person baseline weight of 187 lbs. Subtracting 15% to get to the long-distance ideal puts me at 158.95, which is 16 lbs less than what I weighed this morning. Cycling has made my quads and calves bigger than most runners', and I don't want to lose those, so I think 159 is unrealistically low. 165, though, is not only do-able, but not so low that it seems unreachable.

Some of that will come off by putting my shoes on the road regularly, but it's going to take diet discipline too. Don't buy me any donuts, rolls, or pastries, and give me a stern look if you see me drinking anything but green tea in a coffee shop cup. You should also look at me with a furrowed, disapproving brow if you see me eating cheese. Or gravy.

No comments: