**Beep-buh-buh-beepbeeeep***Stay tuned for breaking abandoned-stuff news***


Ryan, who lives in some amazing place called "En-why-see", is canoeing to North Brother Island, and we're going along for the ride.
Anyway, as I swung my aerial view back towards the city I came across a full blown island that I had never heard of. North Brother Island.

North Brother Island is between Riker’s Island and The Bronx sitting in the East River, NYC. It’s a thirteen acre island in the middle of the East River, and lots of New Yorkers don’t even know it exists. There is a reason for that.

North Brother Island is abandoned and off-limits to the public. As such, one might imagine that it has a fascinating history. One would be right. From around 1880 until 1960 the island was home to several hospitals which warranted the quarantining of its patients. Epidemic diseases, mental patients, drug addicts. In 1960 the island was home to what was supposed to be a cutting edge treatment facility for teenage drug addicts. However, widespread staff corruption caused withdrawal of funding and the program closed, as did the island. Aside from the occasional Riker’s Island escapee who uses the island as a temporary haven after a long swim, North Brother Island has been completely abandoned ever since.

I am going to fucking go there.

Here - I found you the shipwreck pictures he wrote about. Warning - dead bodies ahoy.

8 comments:

Sophist said...

How did your interest in abandoned spaces start?

Anonymous said...

Cheers.

J.Bro said...

Growing up, I read as many postapocalyptic sci-fi stories as I could get my hands on - my guess is that it's an outgrowth of that.

Which is kind of depressing. My happy childhood associations? Buildings that look like they were in a nuclear war.

J.Bro said...

Hey - that's that guy! The one who's canoeing to the island! He found us -- aaaaahhhhh!

towwas said...

Ooh - I think I read a story about that island in the Times or something. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I want to be 'tiger'. I'm not into the 'ifhe'. :)

towwas said...

Nuh-uh, dude. I'm Tiger.

Anonymous said...

Alright, alright. I'll take what I can get. ;)

Thanks for the link.