I'm a Star (bury)

I just got word that when the Steve and Barry’s store in Manhattan Mall opened this morning, there were about 500 people in line outside the store. The people came charging in when the doors opened, and the store completely sold out of Steph’s shoes. Really. They were bringing in shoes from the back, people kept coming in to get their kicks, and even the actual Steve and Barry were having to work the registers to help get people through there.


What got Steve and Barry to work like plebes? The launch of Stephan Marbury's line of cheap shoes - $14.98 for basketball shoes (which he promises he'll be playing in this season) and $9.98 for a few models of street shoes. Adfreak collected some of the mainstream news coverage and a few of the bloggey reactions.

From Stephan himself:
This whole idea is really about trying to change the way how people are being charged for something that’s being priced up 1000 percent. It’s not basketball with me with this — basketball is just something that I do. What I’m doing is I’m trying to create something that could be substantial throughout the years of just living. This is just a product of something that I do. For everyone that’s out in the world that will get in line to buy this stuff, they can feel good about themselves when they’re wearing stuff that’s quote-unquote cheap that’s not cool. Now it’s going to be cool to wear something cheap because you can really get something out of it.


Not one to let another blog beat me to a story (TOWWAS - I'm lookin' in your direction), I went to the Steve & Barry's at the mall across the street and bought a pair of the [url=http://www.starbury.com]Starbury Crossovers - essentially, Nike Air Force One copies[/url]. My verdict: really pretty sweet for under $10.

Image hosted by ImageSocket.com
Other than the the logos, the Crossovers and the AF1s look identical - down to the heel line. Depending on whether or not you believe Nike is taking the extra $70 as profit, they may even be constructed identically. I kind of doubt that, though - the heel line was already peeling when I took them out of the box, and the "Starbury" stitching on the right ankle looks pretty awful.

I do feel sorta hip for wearing cheap shoes advertised as cheap shoes though. I'm looking forward to beating them up a little and wearing some of the newness off.
Image hosted by ImageSocket.com
Image hosted by ImageSocket.com
Image hosted by ImageSocket.com
Image hosted by ImageSocket.com
Image hosted by ImageSocket.com

8 comments:

towwas said...

Ooh...did I scoop you? Well, that's what happens when you know reporters. We're ON the NEWS. But I think, other than my occasional appearances with Threadless news, you've got the fashion beat pretty well cornered.

Burrito Eater said...

Starbury's are awesome! I am going to get me a pair as well, they are the next big thing. Wow, we almost kinda agree on a fashion thing.

Sophist said...

Rad, I look forward to hearing a review of the shoes after a few weeks. I looked at the Starbury website covetously but there are no Steve and Barry's in the immediate Bay Area, and there seem to be no items that would be small enough for me to wear... But such a brilliant idea! I read a review of the Starbury shoes when they first came out and the reviewer said that a shoe engineer said the shoe design was genius. He said it wasn't quite as well built as some of the $200 Nike shoes, but it was close to it for $15. And How awesome is it that Stephan will be actually playing in those shoes all season? So great that people can get one of everything in his entire line for less than it costs for a single pair of Nike's. I wonder about the Chinese slave labor though...

Mister Vertigo said...

Ya know, those are actually kind of cool. I could see myself wearing a pair of those. The big "STARBURY" logo on the back looks kinda cheezy, but other than that I like them.

J.Bro said...

This is the fashion post that swings people my direction? $9 shoes?

Mister Vertigo said...

Hey, I live on a $9 shoe budget!

towwas said...

re: being won over - I'm totally on board with the denim and the threadless, but I think those shoes look kinda cheesy. Am I going to fashion hell?

Burrito Eater said...

Dude, I am on board and am the proud owner of some Starbury Crossovers as well! Agreeing on something was bound to happen sooner or later (I was tending towards the later part...)