Lived through the storm, looking to the future


OK, who's got a friend in Japan that wants to pick me up a pair of Uniqlo jeans? They're getting US distribution this winter, but I want a pair from Japan before that. Then I'll be all, "Oh, you bought those in NYC. That's nice for you." when I see someone else with a pair.

Monseigneur Verigo says: "If you are serious, I may be able to help. How much money are we talking about?"

I answer: "Definitely serious. From what I can tell, Uniqlo is like the Gap of Japan, so stuff isn't that expensive. If I'm interpreting the pictures and numbers on the Japanese site correctly, the S-001 jeans in raw denim are 2990 Yen. That's $25.66 according to xe.com."

8 comments:

Mister Vertigo said...

If you are serious, I may be able to help. How much money are we talking about?

towwas said...

Oh, I have friends coming from Japan in a few weeks, and they live within a mile of a Uniqlo. (I have some very cute clothes from there myself.) Tell me what you're looking for and I can probably set you up. If you point me to the website, I can tell you if you're reading it right, too.

J.Bro said...

TOWWAS - that would be sweet!

The ones I want are the S-002 in "Vintage Classic". I think I have enough raw jeans - I need a washed, distressed pair.

http://store.uniqlo.com/L4/getitem.asp?hdnItemMngCD=u52085

If I'm reading the sizing correctly, the jeans have a standard inseam and different waist sizes (in cm). I wear a 30 in US sizing, so either a 76 or 78.5cm pair would be fine. If I'm reading it wrong and there are different inseams, I'd need something around 34"/86cm.

towwas said...

I think it might be one of those stores that hems pants for you. I may be totally making this up, but I have a vague memory of that. (I never bought pants there.)

K.Bro said...

I'm a little worried about your obsession with jeans. Maybe you should get some help. Do they have "Jeans Buyer's Anonymous?" I think you should check into it.

I Blog, You Blog said...

I like how surviving a storm immediately made you want to buy jeans...

I'm alive!
I should get denim.
Japanese denim.
*salivate*

Sophist said...

Two jeans questions, J. Bro.

1) How many pairs of jeans do you own?
2) How many of those pairs are utterly unique with their own winning personality, and thus ferociously guarded by you?

J.Bro said...

1) As much as I talk about denim, I don't actually own that many pairs. One pair of Nudies from Sweden, one pair of classic Levi's 501 shrink-to-fits, two pair of 1969s from Gap (one raw, one distressed), and one pair of black Seven for all Mankinds. Not a single bootcut in the bunch.

2) Only the Nudies. But, really, everyone who wants to is allowed to touch them. You should ask me first though. I hate surprise-caresses.