What? What.

There seemed to be some confusion regarding my Mono-goose's drivetrain, so I thought I should clear that up. Get us all on the same page. Marching to the beat of the same little drummer boy. Weed out this duck-duck-gray-duck nonsense.

This is my drivetrain - a single 32-tooth chainring paired with a single 18-tooth cog in the back. In a perfect world, that gear ratio would put enough tension on the chain that it wouldn't bounce off. That tall brunette from Nickelodeon's You Can't Do That on Television never got the successful indie film career she deserved, though, so it's clearly not a perfect world. And in a clearly not perfect world, you need some sort of device to put tension on the chain - a "chain tensioner" if you will. You can also see how massive the 29" wheels are in this picture - I feel like a semi truck on the trails. Breuuuuuu-breuoooooooo!


Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Ah, there we go. This black bar is my chain tensioner, in macro-zoom view. See the red roller? That was a much smaller black roller, until I lost it and the bolt that holds it on during my ride to work Friday morning. That part is unique to Rennen (the company that made my tensioner), so it's not like I can just grab another one out of my parts bin. Instead, I found a brake bolt, which has a male and female end, and sandwiched some washers and a lower pulley wheel from a rear derailleur. It worked absolutely brilliantly at Kettle Moraine on Friday afternoon.

6 comments:

Mister Vertigo said...

I feel enlightened!

towwas said...

Ah! Now I understand that you are, indeed, very clever.

Burrito Eater said...

I am glad it worked and hoped that you had a great time out there!

I Blog, You Blog said...

Oooh! Red!

:)

Sophist said...

Brilliant! Where did that red roller come from?

J.Bro said...

Department store bikes use rear derailleurs with massive pulleys - I'm not sure why. I cannibalized a $3 Shimano Acera derailleur for the lower pulley and threw the rest away.

Like this one, but red - http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006OIF52.01-A2TA1K4B0Y2H77._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg