Near-miss

I rode my "Mono"goose 29er to work today, since our department is taking the afternoon off for a group mountain biking trip to Kettle Moraine state forest. On the way to the grocery store to pick up some post-ride snackies, I went off the road to hit a short, super-steep grass hill near the bus line's west transfer point. Halfway up, disaster was lying in wait - a broken chain! A lost plate! No extra links in my bag! On my geared bike, I could just shorten the chain a link and keep riding, but that kind of trailside fix doesn't work on a singlespeed. So I started walking. And then I scooted for a while, but that looked stupid so I stopped.

When I got to work, I realized that the easy-to-fix chain wasn't the only problem - I had also lost the roller for my chain tensioner! I called Rennen to get a replacement, called Missy to have her bring my other mountain bike, and pouted. Then I decided to grab fortune by the nads and jerry-rig a roller using a brake bolt sleeve, some washers, and a rear derailleur pulley. And it worked! Joy of joys, it worked!

5 comments:

Mister Vertigo said...

Wow, I have NO idea what you just said in that second paragraph...

towwas said...

I was already lost halfway through the first.

grrrbear said...

It doesn't matter that I don't know what you said - you're MacGuyver on a bike!

[Insert "Snakes on a Plane" analogy here]

Burrito Eater said...

I am just waiting for the post ride report! That Emma Carlin can be a bitch! :)

But I saw the bike and it looks good!

Brent the Tank said...

Shameless excuse to hype my blog: Check my blog out later this weeks for my annual Tour de France picks!