One purple speed / big, fat blog

Some updates on the links section to your right. And maybe down a little bit. Yeah - there it is. I dropped some blogs I never read and added Jesse Lalonde's site - winner of the bike race part of the MTB Singlespeed World Championships (but not the world champion because he didn't win the go-kart race), 5th in the WORS Elite category (on a singlespeed, natch), test-rider for Gary Fisher bikes, and organizer of the local 24MOTAB (24 Minutes Of The Abandoned Building) races.

Update: I'm also adding Big Fat Blog, an obesity-acceptance site, because I think it's entertaining.
Good news: Chicago's CTA and Pace (suburban) buses will have wider seats starting next year. They're going up from 17.5" (44.45cm) across to 18" (45.72cm) across. Despite the small increase, this will make Chicago's bus seats the biggest in the nation.

Despite the few spoil-sports quoted in the article (Dave Grotto, a dietitian and spokesman for the American Dietetic Association, who trots out the "Fat people are costing us more in healthcare, and now we're seeing the result of the obesity epidemic" whine), I see this as a positive move.

3 comments:

OleNelson said...

I laughed out loud at the BFB excerpt. And then I felt guilty. And then I read it and laughed again.

Burrito Eater said...

Aww man, I took Brent's photo and put it on my blog as well... I guess you had it first so mad props! Anyways, I am excited to still be a link, yeah me!

grrrbear said...

As a resident of Chicago and frequent rider of the CTA, let me tell you than one measly half-inch is not really going to make that big a difference. Given all the fatties around here they would need an extra 6-7" to be "comfortable".

Frankly, I say we narrow the doors to buses and trains so that fat people have to walk. Then they wouldn't be fat anymore and I'd be hailed as an obesity-curing genius!