This is way my lecture ends - not with a bang, but a whisper

Sorry if you're having trouble reading this, but my voice seems to be checking out. Despite a bag and a three-quarters of lozenges, a sore throat on Sunday turned into a scratchy voice yesterday turned into a full-blown case of whispers-and-squeaks today. And for the next 2 1/2 hours, I'm going to have a steady stream of undergrads that want to me to talk to them about their term papers. It's not going to be better anytime soon, is what I'm saying. Tomorrow night I give my final lecture of the semester - it's going to be quite the letdown for my students when I give it entirely via powerpoint slides.

Update: My voice is completely gone now. Missy keeps whispering back to me - hilarious! Hey - is laryngitis a specific medical condition with specific medical causes, or is it like having something vague like a "sore knee"? If it's caused by something, what? What exactly is going on in my mouth?

3 comments:

Spice said...

I think you should give the lecture by machine - Stephen Hawking style. That, or you type, and one of your students delivers the lecture. You could even have the students trade off every 10 minutes to give a lot of them a taste for what it's like to be you!

Burrito Eater said...

I think you should bring Missy in as a guest lecturer; you feed her lines and she says them. Or a totally silent lecture, come in, show a slide, pause, show another slide, say nothing, end show, walk away.

grrrbear said...

I think you should just bring in a ventriolquist dummy and have him give the lecture because then you could have it do all the talking, thus saving your voice for...

oh...never mind.