Four

That's how many papers I had to grade before running into plagiarism. It's text lifted directly from www.humansecurity.org and the abstract to a paper given at a Harvard discussion group - two separate sources means there is absolutely no way I'm backing down from giving this student a zero and failing them in the course.

Update: Jesus - part of this paper is lifted from the League of Nations entry on Wikipedia - that's right - fucking WIKIPEDIA. If you're going to make me play internet plagiarism detective, at least give me a fucking challenge!

4 comments:

towwas said...

Wow! That is powerfully dumb. Do these kids really think their teachers can't tell?

Spice said...

Wikipedia does seem to be the plagiarism source du jour, doesn't it? I guess they don't realize that we know how to use it (and Google), too!

Burrito Eater said...

Yeah, at least plagirise by using books...the internet is way too easy! I like the zero approach! Don't report them to the university, make them go to the university and complain! :)

towwas said...

Maybe they figure, with Wikipedia, by the time you got around to googling, the Wikipedia entry would have changed and you wouldn't find them out.

Or perhaps I'm crediting them with a little too much rational thought.