Well, shalom, I guess

I had no idea that so many of my students were Jewish - close to half, based on attendance in class last night. Another 10-12 walked out when they found out I was showing a video, which left an intimate group of me and 40 students to enjoy Dr. Strangelove. And enjoy it they did - although they may have been a little annoyed that I kept pausing the DVD to point things out (Did you know that President Muffley's conversation with Premier Kissov was ad-libbed? Or that Dr. Strangelove's glove was one that Peter Sellers took from Kubrick because he thought they were creepy? Or that Slim Pickens, the B-52 pilot, was a staunch anti-communist conservative and didn't realize the film was a black comedy until the cast screening? Or that new Nobel laureate Thomas Schelling was a consultant on the film?)

3 comments:

towwas said...

I love that movie. I scored a free copy of the fancy DVD version last fall, because I reviewed it for our holiday DVD guide. It was the first time I'd seen it since high school, and it was even funnier (and more horrifying) than I remembered. Hmmm...I wonder if we're doing the holiday DVD guide again this year....

Mister Vertigo said...

Great movie! I haven't seen it since we watched it way back when. I'd like to see it again because it probably means more now than it did then.

Sophist said...

Sweet movie. And if you liked Dr. Strangelove, you NEED to find a way to see "Doctor Atomic" one day!