No "Get out of my store, you British soccer hooligan"?

In what I'm sure was a survey with well-written questions with non-biased language and appropriate sampling technique, these are the most annoying things sales clerks say to customers:
1) Not my department
2) If it's not on the rack, we don't have it
3) That's the policy
4) I'm on a break
5) Ask the person over there
6) I'm new here
7) You'll have to wait your turn
8) The computer is down

If this isn't evidence that shoppers' expectations are way out of line with what retailers can provide, I don't know what is.

"NO - the computer is working just fine. The customer is always right!"

"I don't care if you're walking to your car and it's 30 minutes after the store closed. The customer is always right!"

"Yes, you certainly are going to check the back for these Dockers in pink. The customer is always right!"

"I will absolutely not wait in this line like a human being! How dare you! Let me speak to your manager!"

"I don't care if you're the Pepsi rep - I'm a paying customer in this grocery store and the ATM is out of deposit slips!"

1 comment:

Spice said...

When I worked at Target we had a system of stickers that would tell you instantly if something was absolutely, positively not in stock. So if there was a sticker and it was not on the shelf, we didn't have it. I can't tell you how many times customers - sorry, guests - would demand that I go look in the back anyway. So I'd take a trip to the stockroom, stand there for 30 seconds, and return to tell them that we didn't have the item. Sometimes the customer is not right!