More music of days gone by -

My cassette collection was built by BMG and Columbia House - joining, buying one tape, referring Mister Vertigo, quitting, being referred by Mister Vertigo, rejoining - it was a cycle that got me dozens and dozens of cassettes for, like, $1.59 apiece. But the selection was crud, it really did take 4-6 weeks to ship, and if you forgot to mail the little tear-off card in - well, start getting your return excuse ready.

It turns out that the current incarnation of BMG works about the same way, but without all the hassles I remember - you get 7 free (well, $2.79 ea for shipping), but one (at a ridiculously inflated $17.98), and then get four more free. But shipping is quick (~3 days), you can decline the offer-of-the-month online (or for eight weeks at a time if you check the box that says you'll be traveling), and the selection is not second-rate anymore. Check these out -

The Walkmen - Bows + Arrows / Everyone Who Pretended to Like me is Gone
Eels - Blinking Lights and Other Revelations
Built to Spill - Ancient Melodies of the Future
French Kicks - One Time Bells
Phantom Planet - Phantom Planet / The Guest
Clinic - Walking with Thee
Gorillaz - Demon Days
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Franz Ferdinand - self-titled / You Could Have It So Much Better
British Sea Power - Open Season
The Libertines - self-titled / What Became of the Likely Lads EP
The Hives - Tyrannosaurus Hives
The Vines - Winning Days
The Von Bondies - Pawn Shoppe Heart
Louis XIV - The Best Little Secrets are Kept
The Fiery Furnaces - Burberry Boat
The Coral - self-titled / Magic & Medicine

(Spice - I'm not sure what they have in the way of major-key, folk-influenced music with rhythmic syncopation and acoustic guitars.)

BUT THIS IS IMPORTANT - DON'T JOIN WITHOUT LETTING ME REFER YOU SO THAT I GET SOME FREE CDS TOO!

3 comments:

Sophist said...

Oooh, I really liked the Eels and the Gorillaz album. Who knew that crappy BMG carries these cds! And I LOVE The Coral. They are seriously catchy. So is Blueberry Boat.

Hey, that Gorillaz album is pretty new - does this mean that BMG carries new albums now? Because they used to only carry ones that were a year old at least...

Unfortunately their classical section leaves something to be desired.

Spice said...

Mmmmm...major key...

So yeah, here's a question for the more musically knowledgable - how is it that I love sad, depressing songs, but when I tried out pandora.com, it kept saying that I adore major keys? Maybe I'm just a lover of the small subsection of songs that are sad but in a major key? Or maybe the common wisdom that sad song=minor key is wrong?

towwas said...

I did a song for my senior recital in college that was suuuuper sad, but in a major key. It was really hard. I don't think I got the sad part across. In fact, I think the only emotion I probably got across was, "holy shit I'm on stage all these people are looking at me omigod get me out of here."