What's up? Pope's dead.

I'm disappointed that Spice beat me to that e-mail - I'd been waiting two days to send it. I strongly opposed Pope John Paul II's position on birth control, abortion, and same-sex marriage, as well as his relative silence on abuse within the church, but I respect him for things like this (from the New Catholic Times):
The Pope worked tirelessly to convince leaders of nations on the UN Security Council to oppose Bush's war resolution on Iraq. Vatican sources claim they had not seen the Pope more animated and determined since he fell ill to Parkinson's Disease.

This is also a fantastic photo -


1 comment:

Sophist said...

That photo was on the cover of the SF Chronicle on Sunday. I stopped dead in my tracks and stared at it for a good two minutes. Absolutely stunning.