Sell-outs, one and all!

When did commercials start playing good music? The first song that I sought out explicitly because I heard it in a commercial was by "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet. Or maybe the Gap ad with "Jump, Jive and Wail" - although I may have had that on a Brian Sezter CD before the ad came out. Then there was "Pressure Point" by The Zutons in a Levi's commercial, and "Gravity Rides Everything" by Modest Mouse in a Nissan ad. in the last few weeks I've heard "Jerk it Out" by The Caesers on an ipod shuffle commercial, "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand on a Sony PSP commercial, a little snippet of "C'mon, C'mon" by The Von Bondies in a Pepsi ad, and some unnamed song by Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs on an Adidas 1 commercial. I'm sure there are more that I've missed (and that you'll point out).

What's going on here? Is my taste in music getting crappy, or are ad agencies really that hip?

Ooh - I found an interview on the Matador Records site with someone who's in the business of ad music.
Matador: Yeah, some commercials are incredibly well-crafted and amazing to look at . . .

Rick:
But the music is way behind, so I'm pushing to get more of the people who write and produce hit records involved in music for commercials, too.

6 comments:

Casimir said...

Awesome point. Good blog, too.

Ms. A said...

I agree with you that commercials are starting to have good music. My favorite song that is on a commercial is when Ashlee Simpsons song is on the commercial with a blow drier. I am not sure what the commercial is.

Sophist said...

Oh my goodness, you know that Nike Lance Armstrong commercial where Lance is riding around all these different places and wherever he goes, people/buffalo/bats/dolphins follow him? It played incessantly during the OLN's broadcast of the Tour de France last year. Wow, that had amazing music - just these beautiful simple arpeggios and a woman's humming on top. It turns out that the music was written for the commercial. Damnit.

Remember "etoys"? they used that AWESOME version of "Somewhere over the rainbow" and showed a kid and his/her dad outside catching fireflies or something... I think ad agencies are very savvy.

Spice said...

Ahhh...the eToys song! I don't think non-Bay Area folks got to enjoy that - at least I haven't found any. It made me really upset when they used the same song when Mark Greene died on ER - now I think of it as the "Mark Greene Death Theme." I have it on my iPod - but I think it was originally on the "Meet Joe Black" soundtrack or something.

J.Po said...

I just clicked to comments to comment about the eToys song, only to find that 2 have already mentioned it. You will all be happy to know that another commercial has taken eToys' lead. The song is back in use, although I can't tell you who is using it - because in my head it's the 'eToys song'.

Sophist said...

The "eToys song" was also on the movie "Finding Forrester," I think...