So close to being national champion I can taste it

I just got this e-mail from USAT, the governing body of amateur triathlon in the U.S. I think it's hilarious that I can "qualify" for the national championship by writing USAT a check for $100. There was a little fracas a few months ago when USAT lowered the qualifying standards from top 3 placing in an official qualifying race to top 50% in any USAT sanctioned triathlon. They must be really desperate for entrants! I'd be tempted to go, just so I could brag about racing in the national championship triathlon, but I wouldn't want someone who was deservedly racing to have to stand next to me in my water wings at the swim start.
"USA Triathlon is offering an exclusive Timbuk2 messenger bag as one of the benefits of purchasing a Silver or Gold membership this year. In addition, Gold members receive automatic entry into our USAT Age Group National Championship, not to mention a $15 discount on the entry fee."

No comments: