A non-smoking room, please

Sometimes, even though I'm a really famous blogland personality, I like to do social things with my readers. Last night, for example, I let a few of them come with me to Hotel Rwanda. I can't say much about the bulk of the movie that hasn't already been said, but I do think that it would have won more awards with a different ending. If you haven't seen it, stop reading right here. The last shot, of Paul, his wife, and all the kids smiling and walking directly into the camera, struck me as something from an 80's film - I wouldn't have been surprised if the last shot had been them in mid-celebratory-jump with their arms splayed in the air. I also think it gave viewers a false sense of closure - the post-film text wasn't strong enough to convey that the movie ended at the beginning of the civil war, and that many hundreds of thousands more would be killed before it came to an end.

2 comments:

Spice said...

I totally agree - I was thinking the same thing about the final scene, particularly since it looked like they were taking 20 orphans with them.

I thought it was a good movie, but it could have been a _great_ movie - the performances were good (save for Nolte's serving as unintentional comic relief), but there were points where the filmmaking failed them - like the final scene, and the ultra-cheesy blue-screening in the first part when they're driving through Kigali.

I think the best part of last night, though, was the giant ball of awkward we encountered in exiting the theater. Hee!

Anonymous said...

Yes, as one of the lucky readers graced by your presence, I agree on the ending issue as well. In fact, I spent the entire last half of the movie distracted by my concern as to how exactly they were going to wrap it up.

The only satifying ending I thought of involved Nick Nolte and a particularly bloody demise.

Travis