A bold prediction

AM/FM radio is a dead-end technology, and I predict that we'll see its demise in the next 10-20 years. It's something we'll tell our grandkids about when they visit us in the home. I don't know a single person that listens to AM/FM radio outside of their car, so in my mind, the only barrier to its end is that wireless internet coverage isn't broad enough to let me listen to The Current while I'm driving. Once we have a wireless internet blanket over the country, you'll be typing urls into your car stereo instead of tuning the radio. Satellite radio like XM and Sirius are a stopgap, but I don't think subscription-based broadcasts can overcome our social expectations of free radio.

Frankly, with the general crappiness of Madison radio, the change can't come fast enough for me.

No comments: