Basal Metabolic Rate

Your basal metabolic rate is the number of calories your body burns just by virtue of your being alive - breathing, dividing cells, pumping blood, growing fingernails, blinking, etc. You can calculate yours here.

At 25, 6'2", 177 lbs, my BMR is 1935.7 calories. What's yours (no need to list age/height/weight if you don't want to)?

Interestingly, as a blast-from-the-past post by Spice noted, fidgeters (like me) burn quite a few extra calories per day on top of this - in the neighborhood of 350 calories per day according to the NYT.

So I start by burning 1935.7, add 350 for relentless fidgeting, add another 908 for my daily activities, 100 for every mile I run, 250 for every half hour of swimming, and 750 for every hour of cycling - that's almost 3700 calories burned during a rougly average day! I can't imagine that I eat more than 2500, so why don't I weigh 110 lbs? Not that I want to, mind you - I'm just wondering which of these numbers is wrong.

2 comments:

Sophist said...

Ugh, it says my basal metabolic rate is 1250. That's just sad because I love to eat! But that would be what I burned if I just stayed in bed all day.

With the proliferation of cookies and cake and other snacks around the lab, I often eat about 2200 calories a day. On average, the number is probably closer to 1900. I would bet, J.Bro, that you're eating more than you guess - have you counted calories for several days? It's surprising what adds up!

Those dudes on the Tour de France burn around 6000 calories a day (that's ABOVE their BMR!) and can't keep up with their expenditure by eating, so they need IV calories if they are not to waste away over the course of the tour. Apparently, the most that one can eat per day before starting to just toss up is around 6000.

Juan Dixon's Number 1 Fan said...

I detect some bull. I'm 5'8" and weigh in at about 165 (I've weighed as much as 170 recently.) At the age of 28, I burn 1746 calories per day just by virtue of existing.

My diet: 4 servings a day of brown rice, a bowl of cereal with 2% milk, two servings of lean meat, various snacks, all about 1 serving (nuts, dried cranberries, raisins), lots of fresh fruit. I don't imagine I take in more than 2,500 calories.

I don't do a ton of cardio, but I do the steps about 30 minutes 5 times a week, lift (which increases muscle density and metabolism), and walk a good deal. (Plus I drink green tea which increases the metabolism as well.)

So...lets say by virtue of my cardio-steps (300 calories) walking (say another 100) fidgeting (who knows how much) weight-lifting induced increased metabolism and caffeine/green tea that I burn 550 more a day...I take in an excess of 200 calories. That means I should be putting on about a pound a week, if I recall right.