Pros are faster - who knew?

Xtri has a nice article about an age-grouper (the non-pro triathlon masses) living with and training with a small group of pros before Ironman-New Zealand. At one point in the article, he's asking their insights on each leg - how do I get faster? I think their answers shed some light on why some of us can just never hope to be elite athletes -
We started with Miss M. She told us that the secret to a good swim is to simply hang on and remember “if it hurts then the other guys are hurting too”. Hmmm, the whole reason I started going long was because I didn’t really savor that short course type of pain.

Mister A was 5th out of the water last year so I asked him what he thought of the swim. His reply, “it was pretty easy, Brent Foster didn’t start all that fast”. Suppose that’s all a matter of perspective. Bjorn did a 2K TT the other day and held 1:14s (LCM) without a wetsuit. So, it might feel just a little different for me.

On to the bike… Mister A blitzed the bike last year with a 4:33 on a windy day. 17 minutes faster than Cameron, who had the day’s second fastest ride (4:50). So how did he do it? Did he break it up into sections? Did he seek to negative split? Nope, turns out that his best advice is… “ride steady the whole way”.

“Ride steady the whole way” – oh boy, I felt ready to rock with that nugget!

OK, so far I was going to “hang on” for the swim and “ride steady” on the bike. Turning to Baron, I was hoping for something at least approaching insightful. After all, he managed to break the event record with a 2:42 last year. His offering, “run fast downhill”. After thinking for a bit more he added, “and push the uphills”.

Fan-fu-gu-tastic.

No comments: