Career poll

Maybe I'm going through a grad school identity crisis - indulge me.

The questions:
1) What would you be doing now if you weren't doing what you're doing now? (Note: this is a different question than, "What did you do before you do what you do now and why did you stop doing it?")

2) Why aren't you doing it?

My answers:
1) Architecture - specifically, high-density urban living places. I've been interested in the field for a while, but I've recently begun reading magazines about the functionality of small-space urban dwelling - finding the necessities, doing away with the excess, living simply - appealing and fascinating.

2) Good question, J.Bro! I think it's a combination of (1) not realizing that it was an interest sooner in my life and (2) the sunk costs (both time and financial) of going to grad school for something else.

2 comments:

J.Po said...

I like questions. I like thinking of answers.

1) A graphic artist for science (particularly molecular bio and biochemistry and genetics) textbooks. I've always spent far more time designing beautiful slides for my talks than developing ideas for my talks. In fact, ideas come to me through drawings.

2) I don't believe I could actually enter this field and I have no idea how I would even start. Plus, I've made a habit of graduate school. If it involves more school, I'd have to say no.

Spice said...

First off - almost everyone I know has had an urban planning or architecture phase. I wonder why that is? Also, one of my college roommates is now an urban planner...and says that it's much less interesting than it sounds.

But on to my answers:

1) Writing some kind of review column for a newspaper - probably TV or movies, but maybe restaurants. That, or doing some sort of research or writing for something like "The Daily Show" - in other words, some combination of writing and entertainment.

2) I guess I've always felt the call to be an academic - ever since my eighth-grade English teacher predicted that I would be a professor (I had no clue what professors were or how one became one at the time). And for some reason it seems like a less valid use of my talents - even though I don't look down upon those who have such careers (for example, a friend of mine from high school is a professional movie-review writer in Dallas).